Who loves homemade jam? Yay, me too.
The award winning, and generous, Yvonne Tremblay has shared with me her newest cookbook 250 Home Preserving Favorites: from Jam and Jellies to Marmalades and Chutneys
And it is awesome! Yvonne is a preserving Queen and covers simple no cook jams to elaborate gourmet delicacies with everything in between. If you can imagine it, Yvonne has a recipe for it. And all of it homemade, by us.
Some of the most tempting recipes are
- Grilled pineapple banana conserve with Kahlua.
- Roasted garlic wine jelly.
- Honey lemon marmalade.
- Pink grapefruit and pomegranate marmalade.
- Spiced peach jam.
I could go on and on, and on. There’s no end to the preserving inspiration in this cookbook. Yvonne shares my passion for herbs too and she uses them in many recipes. A girl after my herb loving heart.
Of course I had to test out a recipe. And even though the birds didn’t leave us a single cherry on our cherry tree this year, I was determined to mix up some cherry jam. Thank goodness for cherry farmers.
For my first try I made a batch of Sweet Cherry Micro-Mini Jam, with chocolate. That’s right, I said chocolate in my cherry jam. It is superb. Almost too good for toast, I’ve been enjoying it on my vanilla ice cream. Because it’s a micro jam it’s only a small batch yielding 500ml so I opted to keep it in the fridge instead of canning it.
Simple and delicious, and with chocolate. Is there anything better?
Beside the range of recipes there’s two aspects of 250 Home Preserving Favorites that appeal to me most.
- Yvonne provides detailed information about preserving. If you are a beginner and just getting started Yvonne will hold your hand and teach you about canning and preserving safely. If you are an experienced canner, I promise you will learn something too. Like how to make jelly, which I will totally tackle this year.
- The recipes in the cookbook cover every season. You can take advantage of every fruit when it is at it’s prime. Blood oranges are on sale, mix up some Blood Orange Marmalade.
But here’s the really exciting news – Yvonne is giving a cookbook away to one lucky reader. She’s sharing her love of homemade preserves with us!
To enter please leave a comment on this post sharing your favourite kind of jam, or jelly or chutney or marmalade. Have you ever made your favorite at home? If not, what kind of preserve are you most excited to make first?
- To enter leave a comment on this post, see below. You must enter an email address.
- One entry per person.
- Contest is open to Canadian and US residents.
- Contest is open until midnight July 12th, 2012.
- Winner will be announced Friday July 13th, 2012.
- In the event that the winner does not respond we will pull another winner from the original comments.
It would be super nice if after you’ve left your comment you followed Yvonne on Twitter. Now, let’s talk jam.
*THE CONTEST IS CLOSED*