In my neighbourhood nuts are not allowed at school, just like Mary’s lamb. I believe in the healthy goodness that is nuts and there’s no allergies at my house, so we eat our nuts at home.
And I cover them in chocolate for good spirits. You can skip the chocolate but I don’t advise it.
This recipe is simple to throw together and perfect for an after school snack.
- 1 heaping cup of each- walnut halves, pecan halves, almonds
- 2 heaping cups of pretzels, I use glutino gluten free pretzels
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 3 tbsp cane sugar or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup of chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 cup of dried cranberries or raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Toss nuts and pretzels together in a large bowl.
- Mix melted butter, sugar, vanilla and salt together and toss with nuts and pretzels.
- Layer nut mixture on a cookie sheet and place in the oven for about 20 minutes. Stir often.
- When the nuts and pretzels start to dry and toast they are ready.
- Let cool for a few minutes.
- If you want the chocolate chips to melt, add them while the nuts and pretzels are still warm. Mix everything together in a large bowl. If you want them to be chunks let the nuts and pretzels cool before mixing.
- Add dried fruit either before or after chocolate, as per your taste.