Sew a ribbon onto a triangle and voila! You have an adorable hair accessory. This is a great use of fabric scraps or vintage handkerchiefs. There’s a fabric scrap version and vintage handkerchief version. The fabric scrap version takes a bit longer, but has the advantage of matching an adorable skirt you’ve made. Both version are pretty darn quick and east. Let’s get sewing!
Fabric scrap at least 10″ by 10″ – or – a handkerchief
To Make the Fabric Scrap Version
- Lay out your rectangle of fabric and choose a center point for your triangle (if your fabric is printed, try create the triangle to showcase the pattern, such my centered tulip)
- Press your fabric
- Fold both sides of the fabric up to create a triangle with the edges of the fabric meeting in the middle of the back (right sides together)
- Press again
- Trim excess from the top of your triangle – it should be about 15 inches long on this, the longest side
6. Right sides together, sew the short edges of your fabric triangle together, creating the seam at the center back of your triangle
7. Press the seam allowance open. Sew the long edge closed with a straight stitch, leaving two inches unsewn at the end
8. Turn the triangle right side out
9. Press with the iron, tucking in the unsewn piece to match the rest (it will be sewn closed when you sew on the ribbon)
10. Fold the ribbon in half and pin the halfway point of the ribbon to the halfway point of the triangle on the triangles longest edge
11. Continue pinning ribbon to edge of handkerchief
12. With a straight stitch, sew the ribbon to the handkerchief as close as possible to the outside edge of the ribbon.
13. Repeat for other edge of the ribbon
To Make the Handkerchief Version
- Fold the handkerchief in half into a triangle
- Press with the iron
- Fold the ribbon in half and pin the halfway point of the ribbon to the halfway point of the triangle on the triangles longest edge
- Continue pinning ribbon to edge of handkerchief
- With a straight stitch, sew the ribbon to the handkerchief as close as possible to one edge of the ribbon.
- Repeat for other edge of the ribbon
Can’t you just see yourself making up a whole slew of these and having them at the ready to give as sweet little homemade gifts to the special women and girls in your life?