I know messes. Very well. I also know crafty kids. I’ve learned a few things along the way.
- If it’s not washable don’t use it.
- Keep food and crafts at separate tables.
- Let the kids choose some of the crafts. At the very least let them think they chose a craft.
- Always have a contingency plan in your back pocket. Be warned, that back pocket will likely get covered in glitter.
- Patience, patience, patience.
- Have craft clothes. If you have dress only requirements like at my house, have a craft dress.
- If you deem a particular craft an outdoor one, stand firm. They will fight you, probably every day.
- Be respectful of difficulty levels and attention spans. Seems obvious but I get this wrong most often.
- If you like your furniture in a clean presentable state, cover it. Cover all of it.
- Have the following on hand for clean up: nail brush, magic eraser, hose and possibly a pressure washer.
If all else fails repeat after me “Whatever.”