Quiche is a staple around our house. I’m not sure if we keep chickens so we can eat quiche or we eat quiche because we have so many darn eggs. No matter. It’s a win-win.
Quiche only takes a few minutes to prepare (especially with a pre-made crust, you can make some up ahead of time or buy them in the freezer section). You walk away while it bakes. It’s also a fantastic make ahead dish: bake it, throw it in the fridge and pull it out a half hour before you’re ready to serve so it has a chance to come to room temperature.
Perhaps the best thing about quiche are the endless flavor combinations. Pick one of these then proceed to the basic recipe below. And always make sure your filling is as dry as possible — no fresh mozzarella or wet spinach — blech.
15 Filling Ideas for Quiche
1. Prosciutto, parmesan, oregano and chives (pictured)
2. Bacon, cheddar, mushrooms and chives
3. Red pepper, green onion and mozzarella
4. Sausage, sun dried tomato and oregano
5. Cherry tomatoes, parmesan and parsley
6. Ham (or bacon), gruyere, nutmeg and chives
7. Black beans, corn, cilantro and cotija cheese
8. Carmelized onions, swiss and parsley
9. Mixed herbs and parmesan
10. Spinach and feta
11. Smoked salmon, cream cheese and chives
12. Broccoli and cheddar
13. Caulifower, garlic and parmesan
14. Zucchini and a swirl of pesto
15. Ham, thyme and swiss
- pie crust
- 6-8 eggs, depending on the size (It’s worth it to use good farmer’s market eggs)
- ¼ cup half and half
- pinch of salt (if the meat or cheese you are using is salty, go easy)
- ¼ shredded cheese
- ¼ cup veggies or fresh herbs
- ⅛ cup meat
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place your pie crust in an 8 inch pie pan. Pre-bake the crust if desired.
- Break the eggs into a large bowl and beat with half and half and salt.
- Precook your meat and veggies, but don’t make them overdone.
- Add the cheese to the bottom of the empty pie crust. Add meat and veggies on top. Pour the egg mixture over all of it, leaving a bit of room at the top to prevent overflow.
- Place the pie pan on a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes until eggs are just set.
What’s your favorite quiche filling?