Welcome happy crafters. Who’s ready for another crochet lesson? Me too. Today’s lesson: granny squares.
The lovely Mandi, who’s been very generous with her time and yarn, has researched a great pattern for us. We’ll be using a free pattern, Granny Square Bag from JoAnn’s. Learn new skills and make a new tote, best deal ever.
Isn’t it beauty-ful? The great thing about this pattern is that you can make it as big or small as you like. Once you get the hang of granny squaring, adjusting the pattern to suit you is simple.
I thought it would be fun if we did it together, a team of busy crocheters all getting on our granny square craftiness together. We’ll get started sometime Friday night and support each other through the tricky bits. Then when we’re all done, there will be high fives for everyone. And a big virtual group hug.
Let’s get started:
- Leave a comment telling us that you are joining us for this most awesome crochet-a-long.
- Print out the pattern, click here.
- Procure yarn and a crochet hook. The pattern calls for Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice yarn. (Yes, Vanna White has her own yarn line). You don’t need to find that exact kind of yarn, it’s a medium weight or worsted weight yarn, anything with the same thickness will do. The good knowledgeable people at the yarn store will help you, just bring the pattern yarn shopping.
- Read the pattern. The whole pattern. On the second page there’s a list of what all the abbreviations mean. We’re going to need to keep that handy.
- Then come Friday, chain on.
If you can’t see lesson 1 click here.
If you can’t see lesson 2 click here.
If you can’t see lesson 3 click here.
To help you along we’ve also got a video on changing yarn and sewing in ends. And when you are all done and ready to assemble your bag and make the handle, there’s the video to help.
It might look like I’ve got a head start on the granny square making but let me assure you I will be starting fresh on Friday.
Crochet on good crafters!