It’s hot out. At least it’s hot where I am. I am sorry if you aren’t getting enough summer weather. Well, that’s not really true, I’m flat out jealous if your daily activities aren’t hampered by a humidex heat warning.
Either way hydration is important. Water can get a bit dull after the 17th litre and it is near impossible measuring the kids water intake. I suppose I could follow them around and measure their output, but that seems duller than drinking that 18th litre of water.
A great way to up your liquid intake is to to add fruit to your diet. Melons are especially high in water content and they are in season right now. Watermelons are 92% water.
Let’s melon up!
Melons are surprisingly good for us. Watermelon and cantaloupe are high in beta-carotene, lycopene and vitamin C. All good stuff. There’s nearly an endless variety of melons, something for everyone.
When shopping choose melons that are firm and free of blemishes or bruises. Squishy over ripe melons aren’t fun. Melons are best at room temperature but once you cut them up, they keep better in the fridge.
- What we call cantaloupes are in fact muskmelons or rock melons. True cantaloupes are only grown in France. Kinda like Champagne.
- Wash melons before cutting. Dirt and grub on the rind will travel on your knife as you cut to the flesh.
- There’s a school of thought that melons should be eaten alone. If you have digest grief after melons, try having them on an empty stomach.
Eating melon is pretty straight forward, slice and eat. But if you want to fancy it up here’s a few ideas-
- Melon parfaits. Excellent for dessert or breakfast.
- Prosciutto and Melon. Oldie but a goodie.
- Grilled Chicken and Melon Salad. Super yum!
- Honeydew Mint Iced Tea.
Are you a melon lover? What’s your favourite variety and how do you enjoy it?