Root Veggie Bake.

It should be known that I never follow a recipe. Sure I read it and I get most of the necessary ingredients. But I don’t do everything the recipe says to.

I am a fly by the seat of my pants kinda cook. A recipe is just a suggestion cook. Perhaps you noticed that reading my recipes here on the blog. I have no interest in exact measurements. That’s why I like Jamie so much, he measures by handfuls and pinches.

Sometimes our food is fantastic. Sometimes it’s not.

Technically every dish I make is my own recipe invention but I never think that way. I consider it my interpretation of a recipe. Yours might be different but equally tasty.

Last weekend I was at a friend’s house for dinner and she served up a mix of roasted veggies. It was very tasty and I complimented her. She said that it was my recipe. Mine. And she quoted my recipe to me.

Well, would you look at that. My recipe.

I am very sure that I didn’t invent this recipe, that it is another bastardization of some lovely chef’s hard work. But folks around town are saying it’s mine and who am I to argue with them.

Friends and Muesli Lovers- I give you Root Veggie Bake. It maybe needs a better name. How about Caramelized Harvest Vegetables?

Get yourself an assortment of vegetables. Ideas might be onions, garlic cloves, sweet potatoes, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, butternut squash. I’ve never tried leeks and I am thinking now that this is a terrible oversight.

Wash, peel and chop them all into equal sized pieces. Roughly, don’t be getting a ruler out or anything.

Toss into a casserole dish with olive oil and salt and pepper. If you are really fancy head out to the garden and add some thyme or rosemary. It was raining when I made this and I was wearing my slippers. Just couldn’t make the trip to the garden.

Bake at 400 until vegetables are soft and delicious.

And that’s it.

Caramelized deliciousness.

Share via email

Comments

1. What are leeks supposed to taste like? I’ve only ever had them in potato leek soup so to me they kind of taste like….nothing.

• Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli says:

The potato overwhelms the leek I think. They taste like a very mild onion. Try them fried up in olive oil until crispy.

• Lois White says:

Hi Kristen,
        I have been roasting veggies for several years now and I use red, yellow peppers, zucinni, mushrooms, tomatoes, egg plant, celery, carrots etc. what ever I have in the fridge. I toss them with olive oil and also basmatic vinegar with sea salt and fresh pepper.
        Love your site.
        Lois

• Hi Lois! Thanks for the comment. You are old hat at veggie roasting and you are right, you can throw anything in.

2. Aging Mommy says:

Leeks would be great done this way too and butter in lieu of olive oil with some herbs would be totally decadent.

3. Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points says:

Ok, I can do that! I can!

Cause I can skip the brussel sprouts, right?

Woot!

I’m trying to go a little veggie crazy here, because apparently I went cook-in-butter crazy for a little too long and currently none of my clothes fit.

*sigh*

4. I have parsnips from my CSA share and did not know what to do with them. Thanks to you, now I do!

5. Sounds yummy! And leeks would be great. I also think radishes would do well. Cooked radishes are much better behaved than raw ones.

• I have never tried cooked radishes. I love them raw very much, like eat a whole bunch in one sitting much. But I should give cooking them a try.

6. Tasty Little Bastards has a much better ring to it and yes, they look delicious. I have a ton of butternut squash this year, yeah!

7. Jessica Anne says:

Yum! I love leeks, so I’ll have to add some. I am a follow the recipe to the T kind of person, so I’m writing this down. :)

8. Joey @ Big Teeth & Clouds says:

My mommy says that if you change even one thing it becomes your very own recipe. So congratulations on writing this one!

9. Wow! That actually looks really good. I’m definitely going to try this. As a family, we are trying to hard to eat better. Everything that you mentioned to put in, we love. So this will be a great quicky veggie item.

Thanks!

10. A friend of mine makes a roasted root veggie dish sort of like this and it’s amazingly good. I can never get mine to turn out like his does. They end up more steamed than roasted. I think I’ll give your method a try next time!

11. I am a leek addict! I would definitely love it with leek. All of it looks so tasty.

12. Kristin @ Ellie-Town says:

Yum yum yum!

13. Caramelized vegetables does make it more alluring!
    And no exact measurements! Look at you cooking by the seat of your pants! I like that!

Share Your Homemade Thoughts