Brussel sprouts are the ultimate cruciferous vegetable. What’s not to love? I am ignoring your eye rolling and vomit gestures under the table.
If you mean to be healthy, make friends with Team Cruciferous. Though introduce them slowly to your diet. Did anyone see Sheldon overdosing on brussel sprouts last week?
Eat Your Green Things
Cruciferous vegetables have some of the best cancer fighting properties going. This group of foods should be in our diet many times a week. They support detoxification, which means they help get rid of the evil smellies and they have many special magic compounds that protect us from disease.
Brussel sprouts are the greenest leaf of Team Cruciferous. They have some extra magic.
- A new study has shown that brussel sprouts have an ability to protect our DNA. I am not really sure what that means but I am 100% sure I don’t want my DNA tampered with and if sprouts are helping with that goal I am going to eat them.
- Fiber in brussel sprouts binds to the bile in our digestive tracks, helping to excrete the bile. Magically this results in a lowering of cholesterol.
We really don’t need that many sprouts to make up a serving. One serving = 1 cup = 4 to 6 sprouts.
That 1 cup contains
- The entire vitamin C requirement for one day and then some.
- All the vitamin K we need in a day and more.
- Folate, vitamin A, manganese, fiber, potassium, omega 3 fatty acids, iron. The list goes on…
Brussel sprouts are better than a vitamin. And tastier.
Preparing Your Brussel Sprouts
You can buy sprouts either on the stalk or already taken off the stalk. If you buy the stalk, you will have to snap off the sprouts. I use my fingers, you could use a knife. Then they need to be cleaned. Wash and cut off the brown of the stem and the outside leaves, to expose the clean inside leaves. Then you are ready to go.
FYI- overcooking your brussel sprouts is bad news. Go for slightly underdone. Still with a crunch.
Enjoying The Delicious Sprout
I am a brussel sprout lover. I will eat them cold for a snack. But I am willing to recognize that not everyone is happy as a clam to eat up a brussel sprout and might need some encouragement.
For simple steam or roast brussel sprouts, toss in butter or balsamic and eat. A pinch of salt is a must with brussel sprouts.
For fancy give these a try-
Balsamic Glazed Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta, bacon works just as well in place of pancetta. My mom has made this recipe several times and no brussel sprouts left on the plate yet.
Fess Up Sprout Eaters
Who’s never had a brussel sprout? I will need your solemn promise that you will try them in the next 2 weeks. If you’ve had brussel sprouts and you hated them, try them with bacon and then let me know how you feel. If you join me in my love for the brussel sprout, then please share your favorite recipe.